Shopping the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale on a budget?! I know that literally hundreds of bloggers will be covering this popular sale, but I am hoping to cover things that I look for, purchase as a teacher on a budget, as well as my favorite picks under $50. Last year I blogged about the big SALE in this post, and had a blast sharing my shopping experience. There is so much hype around the sale, and honestly I didn’t even know it existed until I started following mega fashion bloggers 3+ years ago. Once I started learning what the sale was all about, I began using it to shop for staples and additions to my wardrobe that can be worn multiple ways for more than one season.
The Nordstrom Anniversary Sale
What do you need to know about the sale?
- Early access starts Thursday, July 13th, and is only available to Nordstrom card holders – you can apply here if you’re interested! (Apply by July 9th for early access to this year’s sale.)
- Access to the public begins Friday, July 21st.
- The sale runs through August 6th, but don’t wait too long to buy anything you’re loving, as things do tend to sell out.
- Nordstrom offers amazing customer service plus free shipping & free returns.
Why shop the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale?
This sale gives amazing discounts on summer items, but the best part is enjoying major savings on all of the BRAND NEW fall styles! Who doesn’t love a good sale? I go nuts when American Eagle does BOGO on their shorts, and am crazy about Express offering 50% off of anything! Don’t let all the hype of the Anniversary Sale turn you off. Take advantage of the mega discounts on things your closet needs.
Strategies for Shopping the Sale
So, the question. What goodies should I look for if I’m shopping on a budget? Get ready with these strategies:
- Go through your closet and take inventory on what you need to update or replace for the coming fall/winter season.
- Choose a budget of how much you would like to spend ahead of shopping the sale.
- Using the inventory list from your closet, categorize what you need by order of importance.
- Once the sale starts, things go fast. Secure must-have items first and buy them, then browse after. (You can always take advantage of free returns.)
Where to Find a Deal
Here are some things that I usually look for (plus style tips!) when fall approaches. You’ll find a lot of these on a good discount during the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale every year:
- Dresses – Look for summer dresses that transition into fall easily with a kimono, jacket, or cardigan over them and adding a favorite pair of flats, boots, or booties.
- Bags – I search for an updated travel/work tote, or a daily bag to carry for fall/winter in the season’s new hues. It’s usually pretty easy to find these under $50 during the sale.
- Sweaters – Take your dress, skirt, or summer top into fall and winter with a cute cardigan or sweater. Add a belt and ditch your sandals & wedges for boots & booties and you’ve stretched your summer wardrobe into another season.
Where to Splurge
As a teacher I try to stick to budget shopping pretty much all the time, but like I said last year – my exception to this “rule of shopping” [enter BUDGET!] is when I find pieces of quality and durability that bring versatility into my wardrobe. Here are some of those things I let myself splurge on:
- Shoes – Looking for boots and booties is probably my favorite part of the sale! I also look for shoes to replace any that are worn out from previous years. This can be a little more spendy, but again, if I am replacing worn out shoes, they are worth replacing during a big sale.
- Jackets – Layers will be all the rage with fall right around the corner, and finding cute jackets can be spendy – so shop them during the sale! Jackets are worth the investment because you can wear them over and over. The key is not to spend a lot on a trend that may disappear in the next year. Shop classic pieces and colors that you love.
If you love certain brands of jewelry or jeans but don’t let yourself buy them at full price, keep an eye out for great deals there, too. I personally love buying pieces from Kendra Scott and Alex & Ani, and the sale will most likely include some of them as it did last year. If you buy jeans from Nordstrom, you will enjoy the major discounts on designer brands and brands you love like BLANKNYC, Caslon, Articles of Society, Vigoss and more, too.
I will be sure to share my “budget” and “splurge” purchases plus my thoughts and opinions on what I find with you on my Instagram, and here on my blog once the sale starts, and again once I unbox!
Shop easily from your Mobile Device
If you like to browse and shop from your phone, here are a few more tips to help you find all the deals. Follow Instagram bloggers & accounts that mimic the style you love or wear. (I also find it helpful for my wallet if they wear mostly outfits that are in my price range.) Simply “like” or screenshot the photos that include any outfit pieces you would like to shop. Then follow the steps below:
Hope you found some of these tips helpful! I will be sharing my top picks under $50 when the sale goes live on July 13th, and will also plan a post to share what I buy + honest reviews! Have you ever shopped the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale? What are you looking for this year? I’d love to hear!